Some Questions of the Drift

Weather vane, NSEW, blue sky, light

Kirk Wynd, Kirkcaldy

I ask you:

– What is the weight of light?

– Clarice Lispector

≈ ≈ ≈

Merchant's House, Kirkcaldy

Merchant’s House, Kirkcaldy

– What are the colours of time?

Merchant's House Kirkcaldy II

Merchant’s House Kirkcaldy II

– What are the sounds of the stones?

– When does the inside become the outside?

Rosyth Church - East Gable Inner - from West

Rosyth Church – East Gable Inner – from West

Gravestone, decay, erosion

St Cuthbert’s Churchyard, Edinburgh

– What is the material of memory?

– What would the trees think?

Scot's Pine - Devilla Forest, Fife

Devilla Forest, Fife

Limekilns, Fife

– What is the geography of a butterfly?

CIMG1841

Lochore Meadows, Fife

– What is the shape of flight?

– When does the local become  – the universal?

Burntisland from The Binn

Burntisland from The Binn

≈ ≈

– Where does the sky begin?

Digbeth Derive

Digbeth, Birmingham

– What is the taste of place?

Cafe now Open – Digbeth Birmingham

WP_000110

Custard Factory, Digbeth

– Where are the energy flows?

WP_000105

Abandoned factory, Digbeth

– What is the future of the past?

≈ ≈

Watching over Sauchiehall Street, Glasgow

Sauchiehall Street, Glasgow

– Who watches the watcher?

George Square, Glasgow

George Square, Glasgow

– Who controls this space?

– Who determines the boundary?

CIMG1210

Hadrian’s Wall

Berlin Wall

The Berlin Wall

Keep Out

Limekilns, Danger, Keep Out

≈

Sauchiehall Street, Glasgow

Sauchiehall Street Glasgow

–  Where is the coldness of the sun?

– What is the gravity of the moon?

at Mogwai play Zidane, Broomielaw, Glasgow

at Mogwai play Zidane, Broomielaw, Glasgow

Rosyth Station, Car Park

Rosyth Station, Car Park

– Where is the boundary of night?

Under Regent Bridge, Calton Road, Edinburgh (Callum Innes installation).

Under Regent Bridge, Calton Road, Edinburgh (Callum Innes installation).

≈ ≈

Where is the future of  freedom?

Stirling Jail car park mural. Detail from Freedom Versions v.1

Stirling Jail car park mural. Detail from Freedom Versions v.1

– What is the distance of love?

Berlin Wall, late 1980s. Looking towards the East

Berlin Wall, late 1980s. Looking towards the East

≈ ≈ ≈

Opening quote from Clarice Lispector’s The Hour of the Star.

The photos of the Berlin Wall are from an inter-railing trip in the late 1980s. It was a coincidence to rediscover them in an old shoebox on the day that it was announced Lou Reed had died.  I can still vividly recall a lurid, orange BASF cassette being pressed into my hand in the school playground. “Listen to this!”  It was a recording of Rock n Roll Animal. Things changed.

I can still remember a number of the cassettes that travelled in the rucksack on that inter-railing adventure. Berlin was certainly one of them.

Now playing: Lou Reed – Berlin. RIP LR.

This entry was posted in Observation, Psychogeography, Some Questions of the Drift and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to Some Questions of the Drift

1. Ian Hill says:

This is a wonderfully haunting post, with a perfect balance between the oddness of the words and the curious selection of pictures. Thank you, in particular, for introducing me to the work of Clarice Lispector, who was hitherto unknown to me, I’m embarassed to say.

With best wishes

Ian

• Thanks for the comment Ian. I’m fairly new to Lispector myself but looking forward to reading more of her work. That opening quote I used is almost the last line of ‘The Hour of the Star’ and it just resonated. Very much enjoyed your recent pieces in ‘Earthlines’ and ‘Under a Grey Sky’.

Best wishes.

2. dianajhale says:

I love the way you have brought such disparate things together and made a new sense from them.
    I didn’t know of Clarice Lispector either. Lou Reed has memories for so many people though.

• Thanks Diana. One of the few consolations following his death has been the outpouring of peoples memories connected to Lou Reed, including those ‘difficult’ interviews for which he was famous. On the musical front his quality control was not always consistent but, overall, what a great body of work to leave behind.

3. dobraszczyk says:

Lovely photo-essay. A useful question to always ask: how to measure what is unmeasurable?

4. aubrey says:

Questions as eloquent as the answers are bound to be. The reasoning behind them will be vast, and will last forever. Couldn’t one adopt one of these questions and happily write about it all day?

Lou Reed’s passing made me sad and rather angry. However, Sweet Jane stays forever.

5. Cathy Dreyer says:

I find this so exciting. Thanks.

6. A really thoughtful collection of words and images bouncing off each other. I did read The Hour of the Star though way back and can’t remember it too well. But what satisfying words. Thanks.

Don’t know if you’re a tweeter but I loved this Lou Reed one from Chaucer doth Tweet…

Smokinge a cigarette on Lexington and CXXV. The good and the badde walke by. Waytinge for the man.

• Thanks for the comment. Much appreciated. The Hour of the Star is a dark little tale and I can see why Lispector is often mentioned alongside Kafka.

That is a good Chauceresque adaptation! And yes on twitter as well @fifepsy.

Best wishes.

7. Dina says:

Wonderful inspiring photoessay, giving us all a lot to ponder on and me especially a lot of new ideas! Thanks a lot. 🙂

8. liminal city says:

So many wonderful questions, made me think of Chiyo Ni’s haikus, drifting thoughts of landscape and the intangible.

9. Great provocation to thought. Reminded me of the 1980s book ‘The Meaning of Liff’ – a light hearted attempt to find words (actually co-opted obscure place names) to give meaning to everyday expwriences that oddly have no existing names. To my mind it shows a glimpse of how thoughts can (just about) exist beyond language, but need to be spoken of to stabilise and share them. Hmm, that was a bit heavy for a Saturday morning, time for a strong cup of tea and a sit down I think…

• Thanks Luke. Must have a look. I do think that at times there is an ‘excess of experience’ which sort of escapes language sometimes – no bad thing. On another tangent, if you have kids of a certain age, they will no doubt be playing ‘What does the fox say’ Makes me smile that these types of question can also be asked in viral pop songs!